In order to increase their productivity, the customer asked us to design a complete line to produce various products such as muffins and macarons. The automatic handling of the placement of the trays, the demoulding of the capsules, the dosing of the batter and the depositing of the topping for subsequent baking.
The main challenge in this project was to automate part of the line in order to achieve the desired increase in productivity with maximum efficiency and the highest output.
It was also important to achieve a single versatile production line that can operate with different types of trays and papers. The aim is to reduce space, resources and time.
In addition, it is necessary to understand the diversity and complexity of the products:
– “live” element – variable volume and shape.
– Delicate and fragile – easy to damage in handling.
– Difficult to handle – coated with gelatine, chocolate, etc.
– Unstable – Lightweight, easily dislodged.
– High number of units to be handled: up to approximately 800 units/min.
The solution to meet the objectives was a modular line for large productions consisting of:
- An Omron technology robotarm with three interchangeable platens and nine tray loaders (different sizes, cardboard, metal and paper sheets) that places the corresponding tray on the conveyor belt.
- A paper cup machine for two different types of paper (muffins and financer) which places the capsules on the tray.
- A muffins filling machine with seven nozzles, with volumetric dosage regulation.
- Two interchangeable seed dispensers
- A conveyor that transports the trays from the tray magazine to the end of the machine, passing through the different work stations.
- The inclusion of the robotat the beginning of the line allows us toincrease the versatility and efficiency of the whole, as the same robot can work with the different tray formats, even placing a metal tray first and then a sheet of paper on it.
It has a system to detect when there are few trays left, it checks the different stores and if no trays are detected, the arm stops.
- The operator gains in ergonomics as he only has to ensure that there are enough trays, paper and dough for the line to continue working or he can take on more value-added tasks.
- The automation of the system allows us to obtain an output of approximately 8,400 macarons/hour with the 7 nozzles or more than 8,000 units/hour with muffins, cupcakes or financiers.
👉 See other production linesthat we have manufactured.